11/13/2007

Audacity for Podcasting Video Primer

Joanna Young recently posted What I Learned From Podcasting over at Confident Writing. In the post she mentioned being challenged when editing the audio. I commented that I liked the freeware audio editor Audacity, which made podcast editing simple. I offered to create a quick tutorial if she was interested, and she took me up on it!

So I grabbed my freeware screencam application, CamStudio. I hadn't had much practice with it, but was able to create something workable (although you be the judge of that). There's a little problem with screen/audio synchronization in the middle; I've still got things to learn.

Topics covered in the video:
  • Recording speech
  • Trimming vocal tracks
  • Time shifting tracks
  • Adding additional tracks
  • Splitting tracks
  • Adding bumper music
  • Exporting project as an MP3 file



Online Videos by Veoh.com

Any comments and suggestions are cheerfully accepted in the comment box!



posted by Mike at 12:00 PM


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, it's brilliant! Thanks so much, I'm definitely going to be experimenting with this from next week onwards.

I found your instructions easy to follow, loved the way you matched up the audio from the podcast to the final piece of video, and you made me laugh too. Don Fernando!

Joanna

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike (hi Joanna)

Thanks Mike, not really for the tutorial on podcasting (not yet ready for that and if I am I am going to follow Joanna's tips and advice), but more for the other program ;-)

We - that's my good friend and mentor Richard C and I - are thinking of creating video-tutorials and although he has a program for it and is trying to figure out how that works, this is a great find too!

Might also come in handy during the Teaching Sells course - you're both my fellow-students there I saw ;-)
p.s. Joanna - isn't this just a great example of 'teaming-up?

Karin H. (Keep It Simple Sweetheart, specially in business)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hi Joanna,

Glad you liked it! They say the greatest way to increase your understanding of something is to teach it to others, and I certainly know more about Audacity (and CamStudio) now than I did two days ago.

Mike

7:59 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hi Karin,

I believe that the TS boys will get to Audacity sooner or later; it was on their original tool list.

The Business Process Transformation video was the essence of simplicity in its creation. I built the graphics in PowerPoint and used MS Paint to save them as .jpg files (there are a few tips and tricks I can share with you on this). I then recorded the audio for each screen in Audacity, then arranged the visuals and audio in Windows Movie Maker, added transitions, and produced the final product.

I imagine that the TS team will be covering similar material down the road. It looks like Camtasia can do some of this as well.

As for 'teaming up', I'm open to it!

Mike

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers Mike

(Still trying to play catch-up with the TS course - in between my normal work, but it is good fun and interesting).

I'll remember your above mentioned tips for when we are tackling this new project. Sure we'll bet in touch ;-)

Karin H.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Karin,

You've got the the hardest part (who your audience is, and what they want to know) done, so the rest will be easy for you! ;-)

I look forward to talking when you're ready.

Mike

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freeware
The term “freeware” has no clear accepted definition, but it is commonly used for packages which permit redistribution but not modification (and their source code is not available). These packages are not free software, so please don't use “freeware” to refer to free software.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home