6/29/2006

Matisyahu Easter Eggs

Yes, I know that as an observant Orthodox Jew Matisyahu does not celebrate Easter.

But as I explored his music on Internet Archive, I ran across a couple of fun items:

1) In the song WP (White Plains) Matisyahu takes a jab at an old friend, but the internet lyrics sites missed out on it. They quote:
"I'll never forget running through the hall with all y'all rebels
Roaming through the high land, young bucks invincible
Echoes in my brain, if kids report to the principle"
Well, I'm not so sure. I think Matisyahu is more evocative with that last line. He remembers a specific announcement. Listen to this and see if you can decipher the real lyric.



Hint: Stanley Who?


2) Not exactly an Easter Egg in terms of being hidden, but certainly an Easter Egg in terms of surprises. Jerusalem began as a very prototypical Hasidic hip-hop tune (if there is such a thing). But somewhere in March, the band brought the song back in a very different form.

Sounds more Dublin than Brooklyn to me. And you've got to love the Matthew Wilder tribute in the middle of the song. I'm guessing this is just the start of the surprises that Matisyahu and Roots Tonic have in store for us...



posted by Mike at 10:01 PM


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice....

I think I'll post this on my Matisyahu blog.

Did you download your free and legal copy of the albums Shake off the dust.. arise and live at stubbs ??

Thanks

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks for the kind word (literally), and nice blog you have there!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the lyric is...
"...echoes in my brain, Ipcus report to the principle..."

Ipcus is the same Stanley Ipcus, he is singing with in the clip and is featured on the CD Youth.

And the way he changed jerusalem, since the albums was not out yet when the concerts were going oing one can assume that is how the song was being played until it was recorded in the studio.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Absolutely correct on the WP lyric! And that's why I chose that particular show.

As for Jerusalem, the concert record is an interesting glimpse into the creative process. It appears that the lyrics were done first and the sound came later.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home